[ppml] Individuals vs. organizations in the public policyprocess

Wettling, Fred Fred.Wettling at Bechtel.com
Sat Nov 17 12:27:45 EST 2007

The ARIN policy discussions are not limited to individuals.  "Policy
development is an open and transparent process. Anyone may participate
in the process -- a prior relationship as an ARIN member or customer is
not a requirement..." Link: http://www.arin.net/policy/index.html

Organizations pay the ARIN fees, receive the vast majority of the
addresses allocated by ARIN, and are subject to the ARIN policies. As
Scott mentioned, the ARIN member organizations each get one vote.  PPML
participants should consider that individuals speaking on behalf of
their organization may have gone through an internal vetting process
before posting a note.  This will often include internal
discussions/debates/education and an enterprise impact analysis of the
policy proposal.

>From my perspective the organizational affiliation is useful when a PPML
message is posted as a position of the organization.  It helps provide
additional context for the comment.

Regards - Fred