[ppml] Effects of explosive routing table growth on ISP behavior

Brian Johnson bjohnson at drtel.com
Tue Nov 6 10:45:10 EST 2007

michael.dillon at bt.com wrote:

> This is a silly comment. The RIRs have no business in routing
> policy because they do not have the expertise, and the true
> stakeholders in member companies are not involved in the RIRs.
> The RIRs have no competent advice to give an ISP on routing
> policy.

Well said!

> That said, there is nothing wrong with RIRs mediating some
> coordination of routing policies between DFZ operators, but
> this must be done, first and foremost, by getting the routing
> policy stakeholders involved in the process. If they don't buy-in,
> then it won't work.

I would have absolutely no problem with this. I just do not want a
single central authority making these sorts of decisions. This is how
bad things happen even if the intentions are good. It's sort of like a
separations of powers issue with me.

> And please don't send me a list of the few PPML participants who
> also happen to have design authority in their networks. I know
> that there are a few such people, but the point is that RIR policy
> is being set, for the most part, by people who do not design their
> companies' networks or set their companies' routing policy.

I'm one of those people and while I want to have input into the process,
I don't want to be dictated, by ARIN, as to my routing policy. I believe
that market forces will deal with this.

- Brian