[ppml] Effects of explosive routing table growth on ISP behavior

Nigel Titley nigel at titley.com
Fri Nov 2 18:07:37 EDT 2007

michael.dillon at bt.com wrote:
>> It is worth pointing out that in different regions this is
>> handled differently.  For instance, RIPE handles both the
>> functions of Nanog and of ARIN as a single org.
>>

> Nope. RIPE and RIPE NCC are two separate orgs with separate
> budgets and management. They may hold joint meetings more
> often than ARIN/NANOG, but they are not integrated as you
> have assumed.

To be slightly more precise: RIPE is the body which makes policy. It has
no budget and no formal membership. It is run as a number of working
groups, loosely coordinated by the RIPE Chair. It periodically (twice
yearly) meets up in a conference which has two parts: the European
Operators Forum (which roughly corresponds to NANOG), and the Working
Groups, which roughly correspond to the ARIN meeting. The RIPE NCC is a
not for profit organisation which performs the RIR function in Europe,
and executes the policy decided by RIPE. It is exactly analogous to
ARIN, except that the RIPE NCC board takes no part in the development of
policy but is merely concerned with the commercial sound operation of
the RIPE NCC. So in a sense, there is no such thing as a RIPE NCC
meeting joint or otherwise. The whole thing is confused by the fact that
the RIPE NCC organises the RIPE meeting.

I'm sure that isn't clearer, but then....

Nigel