[ppml] Effects of explosive routing table growth on ISP behavior

Jon Lewis jlewis at lewis.org
Thu Nov 1 16:07:05 EDT 2007

On Thu, 1 Nov 2007, Stephen Sprunk wrote:

> Yes, because actual allocation/assignment sizes vary over time even if the
> minima do not.  You could design it to trade off zero false positives for a
> reasonable number of false negatives, but you'd still want to update it at
> least monthly.

Ah, basing it on actual assignments.  With what frequency can a single IP
hit the various RIR whois servers before getting blocked/throttled? :)

> Interesting idea, but the audience you're trying to clue in won't show up
> until they get filtered out of the DFZ and are wondering why -- if ever.

The networks won't, but I'm hoping if some of their customers do, they
might listen to them.  My experience so far with contacting deaggregated
networks is they either don't care (as broken as you think it is, our shit
works) or as an outsider, you can't talk to anyone who'll understand the
issue enough to care enough to bring it to the attention of anyone (if
they have anyone) who has the access/ability to make changes.