[ppml] rubber/road

Stephen Sprunk stephen at sprunk.org
Thu May 31 19:26:04 EDT 2007

Thus spake "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm at ipinc.net>
>>The amount that is the most of either your IPv4 or the IPv6 one.
>>See a couple of days back where somebody disclosed that.
>
> In 2 years a policy could be submitted and approved that would
> radically raise prices on the IPv6 block and require you to pay
> for both blocks.

Fees are decided by the Board and the members, not policy.

Reportedly, the waiver is being replaced with (what appears to be) a
permanent directive that folks will pay the greater of their v4 and v6 fees,
not both.  That has the effect, for the forseeable future, that everyone
will get v6 free just by asking for it.

Obviously, nobody can predict what IPv6 fees will look like several years
from now, just like we can't predict what IPv4 fees will look like; it's a
safe bet that v6 will stay cheaper than v4, though, particularly after v4
exhaustion hits.

> As long as both allocations (IPv4 and IPv6) are separate, the
> fear of getting jacked over in the future is a real possibility.

That's up to the members, and the easiest way to prevent being "jacked over"
is to become a member and vote accordingly.  Given the Board's recent
resolution, though, it's hard to imagine they'll "jack" people adoptiong v6;
that's contrary to the community's interests.  If anyone is going to get
"jacked", it's people who don't.

> this is why I suggested a while ago that IPv6 automatically
> be allocated to all paying IPv4 holders.

That's a different matter and has been responded to already; please
resurrect that thread if you want to continue it instead of hijacking
others.

Stephen Sprunk      "Those people who think they know everything
CCIE #3723         are a great annoyance to those of us who do."
K5SSS                                             --Isaac Asimov