[ppml] [address-policy-wg] Those pesky ULAs again

Leo Bicknell bicknell at ufp.org
Thu May 31 17:52:45 EDT 2007

In a message written on Thu, May 31, 2007 at 08:07:16AM +0200, Iljitsch van Beijnum wrote:
> Note that it's not all that useful to complain about IETF work that
> has been done over a decade ago and has since been widely
> implemented. We'll have to live with it until someone comes up with
> something better AND a reasonable upgrade path from the current
> situation to the new model.

That's where I disagree.  The IETF did half the work, then bailed
on the other half of the work.  All the good stuff about TCP that
would survive address changes, A6/DNAME, etc, etc etc has been
dropped.  Now they want the operational world to clean up the mess.

I think it's absolutely the right thing to complain to the IETF.
I want to know why the IETF isn't still working on these problems.
Have you seen any progress in the last 5 years?

I think the ARIN board needs to issue a second statement aimed at the
IETF:

"The IETF has left IPv6 half finished, which makes it impossible
to deploy under the original vision.  Given that the IETF has not
offered any additional guidance, the RIR community will be left to
create the operational parameters on the fly.  We believe the
industry would be better served if the IETF could complete the work
and develop useful deployment standards prior to widespread deployment.
The clock is ticking."