[ppml] Suggestion for ARIN to deligate smaller IP blocks

Heather Schiller heather.schiller at verizonbusiness.com
Thu May 31 16:27:52 EDT 2007

Policies to reduce the minimum assignment from ARIN down to a /24 have
been proposed in the past, including the last policy development cycle.

You can read archived ppml comments on the subject and meeting transcripts
to get a feel for and against the idea.

Most recently:
http://www.arin.net/policy/proposals/2007_6.html

However your example of 75 IP's is significantly smaller than a /24 -
which is the generally accepted minimum prefix size passed between
providers.  If you would also like providers to consider lowering the
prefix size they will accept, Nanog might be a better forum, as that is
more operational than IP addressing policy.  (However don't expect it to
be a popular idea, as it would add to routing table growth)  ARIN doesn't
guarantee the routability of address space, so even if the policy were
changed to make the minimum assignment a /25, you'd have to find a
provider willing to leak it, and others willing to listen.

  --Heather

  # Heather Schiller                          #
  # Customer Security & IP Address Management #
  # 800.900.0241                              #
  # security at mci.com                          #