[ppml] [address-policy-wg] Those pesky ULAs again

John Paul Morrison jmorrison at bogomips.com
Wed May 30 19:24:16 EDT 2007

There's some good points but:

- how do you get collisions? If even if a 48 bit MAC address is
duplicated, this only impacts a layer 2 network. If you have a router,
you have a FIB that can sort out whether two duplicate MACs are attached
to different interfaces - no collisions there.

- subnets aren't necessarily small in a service provider network. So
Appletalk with 16 bits wouldn't scale onto a cable-modem head end.
We live in a 48 bit MAC world - ethernet, bluetooth, fiber channel etc,
I suppose 64 bits was just building in some future proofing.

- I think it's been pointed out already that other size subnets do work

- you can obscure your mac address in software, and a random mac address
doesn't give much more information than a random IP address.

- your link local IP address does change but this should be meaningless.
You never configure BGP or OSPF router-id's based on a physical IP address
anyway. It should always be a loopback, virtual interface.  With eBGP,
current IPv4 practice typically uses the interface address, but people
do use
loopbacks on occasion even with IPv4 eBGP sessions, and often with
multihop.  I see any confusion here as a dependency on IPv4 router
configuration syntax.

It's just link-local, so for a router (not that it's applicable to
routers) it would be like an un-numbered interface only for Ethernet.
Router-id's and areas would always be administered.

For a host I don't think it's any different (or it shouldn't be), but I
may be getting out of my v6 depth here.
A basic host/user wouldn't care. An important server would configure
other virutal addresses which could live on top of multiple link local
IP addresses,
and connectivity would survive if one interface went down. (whether
ICMPv6 properly deals with hosts updating the routers, I'm not sure).

And what's so sacred about a static, physical IP address, as opposed to
a static (or even DHCP) virtual IP address?
My laptop loses it's connections every time I disconnect from my wired
network and enable my own wireless.
Or I lose connectivity while my wireless is working, and plug in to a
live ethernet port and a static IP address but a dead gateway.

Some of this stuff needs to get away from physical addressing anyway to
make things work.

When we start having IPv6 and EUI-64, link local only connectivity down
in USB devices, blue-tooth or whatever, it'll be much more appreciated
for the fact that you don't have to know or care about addressing,
service discovery etc.  Plug in your new hard disk, let the IPv6 stacks
talk to each other automatically, either OS to device, or more likely
embedded Linux SATA controller talking to the embedded Linux SATA
target/disk drive.