[ppml] 5M prefixes in the core [was: Re: [address-policy-wg] Those pesky ULAs again ]

bmanning at karoshi.com bmanning at karoshi.com
Wed May 30 12:01:32 EDT 2007

On Wed, May 30, 2007 at 11:03:52AM -0400, Thomas Narten wrote:
> Leo Bicknell <bicknell at ufp.org> writes:
>
> > Today we think of a 5,000,000 prefix Internet as an impossibility.
> > No hardware could ever do that.  However, 20 years on I'm not sure
> > a 5 million route Internet will be surprising to anyone.
>
> Who is the "we" you refer to above/
>
> Actually, quite a few people are worried that a 5M prefix Internet is
> a possibility. There are also debates (i.e., no consensus) that when
> that happens, routers will actually be able to cope with the load in
> practice.

	hum...   given that w/ a /32 "boundary" - there exists the
	possibility of  2x32 routing table entries... clearly the
	/32 boundary is not to preserve routing table slots.

	if one is seriously considering a 1-5m entry routing table
	then it becomes important to (proxy) aggregate to the /8 or
	/9 level to keep within the 1 to 5m entries.

--bill