[ppml] [address-policy-wg] Those pesky ULAs again

Stephen Sprunk stephen at sprunk.org
Wed May 30 10:20:59 EDT 2007

Thus spake "JORDI PALET MARTINEZ" <jordi.palet at consulintel.es>
> Agree, in ARIN region is not difficult to get, but in other two regions
> (LACNIC and RIPE NCC) is still impossible.
>
> However more difference to point to is that using PI for a function
> such as the one covered by ULA-Central is wasting space.

How is using a PI /48 any more or less wasteful than a ULA-C /48?  If
anything, there is less ULA space (currently /7) available than PI space
(currently /3) so we should be more concerned about waste in ULA land.

Creating a new type of address space for "private" use just because some
companies are too lazy to figure out how to configure their firewalls (which
don't even exist yet) is not good engineering.

Stephen Sprunk      "Those people who think they know everything
CCIE #3723         are a great annoyance to those of us who do."
K5SSS                                             --Isaac Asimov