[ppml] [address-policy-wg] Those pesky ULAs again

Per Heldal heldal at eml.cc
Wed May 30 04:19:48 EDT 2007

On Tue, 2007-05-29 at 10:25 -0700, David Williamson wrote:
> Uh, neither of those reasons undermines the solution others have
> proposed: use PI space.  You can always just not announce some part (or
> all) of your space.  That would make it private.

Until there's a magic solution for scalable IDR you'll hit the
filter-wall. For ARIN's PI-block (/48 as defined by ARIN), expect
networks to filter anything that is more specific. Hence you won't be
able to keep a chunk "private" by making it "invisible" to the outside
world.

> ULA-C sounds to me like a request to the guys who spin silicon to help
> people keep from screwing up their router configs.  If someone can't
> manage to filter their BGP such that they keep some (or all) of their
> space private, I don't see why Cisco, Juniper, et al., need to do
> that for them.

ULA-C is a questionable workaround for the IT-industry's failure to
solve basic problems. E.g; why, in 2007, is renumbering even an issue
anymore? It shouldn't be a problem when changing upstream provider, nor
should it be an issue when different private networks are joined.

//per