[ppml] [address-policy-wg] Those pesky ULAs again

Leo Bicknell bicknell at ufp.org
Tue May 29 18:20:33 EDT 2007

In a message written on Tue, May 29, 2007 at 05:14:32PM +0000, Paul_Vixie at isc.org wrote:
> sadly, eui64 is in the standard, and it would take a flag day to remove it.

I disagree it takes a flag day to remove it, your own experience
is the key:

> (note well, there was an urban legend about the /64 boundary being present
> in silicon on some switch or router, but in my own testing, every C and J
> router i laid hands on was able to work with /96 or /120 netmasks on
> connected LAN interfaces, forward to them without using more CPU time than
> a connected /64, receive routes, and advertise routes.  so at the moment,
> "/64 is hardwired into router silicon" is just an urban legend to me.  if
> you want to argue this point, plz provide session traces and rev levels.)

If DHCP6 works (and although I haven't used it lately, seems like
good progress is being made) we're on the right track.  All we need
is for Comcast / AT&T / Time Warner and other large CableCo's to
say "we're going to give each house a routed /120, and the router
will do DHCP6 for it" and we're good to go.  People can still use
stateless autoconfig where they want it, I suspect it will go the
way of the dodo.

Conversely, it would be rather trivial to add random address assignment
to IPv4.  ICMP router solicitation, auto configure into the subnet,
randomly assign a IP, look for a collision.  AppleTalk did it 15 years
ago.  Worked good for small deployments.  Would be fun to write the code
and check it into several distros....