[ppml] [address-policy-wg] Those pesky ULAs again

Iljitsch van Beijnum iljitsch at muada.com
Tue May 29 18:06:48 EDT 2007

On 29-mei-2007, at 23:52, JORDI PALET MARTINEZ wrote:

> That's broken. As it has been stated in previous messages some days
> ago, RIR
> communities can do whatever they want, especially if IETF fails.
> I'm doing
> IETF work, but it is clear that some times, for whatever reasons is
> too
> slow, or even fails. This community has the right to bypass that if
> required.

The IETF is far from perfect, but I'm not quite convinced that the
RIRs stepping in when the IETF doesn't produce the desired results is
going to work well.

> And one more demonstration that this is broken: All the RIRs did 4-
> byte-ASN
> policies when no RFCs where available.

There had been a draft for more than 5 years, the reason that there
was no RFC was a process particularity (can't publish a routing RFC
without there being interoperable implementations), not lack of
consensus on any technical issue.

> So yes, I will much prefer to have an RFC, and this is the way we
> are going,

What exactly is the way we are going?