[ppml] [address-policy-wg] Those pesky ULAs again

JORDI PALET MARTINEZ jordi.palet at consulintel.es
Tue May 29 17:52:04 EDT 2007

That's broken. As it has been stated in previous messages some days ago, RIR
communities can do whatever they want, especially if IETF fails. I'm doing
IETF work, but it is clear that some times, for whatever reasons is too
slow, or even fails. This community has the right to bypass that if
required.

And one more demonstration that this is broken: All the RIRs did 4-byte-ASN
policies when no RFCs where available. As you can see the RIR system is
still working.

So yes, I will much prefer to have an RFC, and this is the way we are going,
but nothing precludes to go in parallel, as it has been done in the
4-byte-ASN, and probably some other times I guess.

And, in the worst case, if the IETF fails again on this (I'm sure will not
be the case this time), we could always go for a global policy to instruct
IANA to delegate that resource to the RIRs.

Regards,
Jordi