[ppml] [address-policy-wg] Those pesky ULAs again

David Williamson dlw+arin at tellme.com
Tue May 29 13:25:58 EDT 2007

On Tue, May 29, 2007 at 06:58:47PM +0200, Iljitsch van Beijnum wrote:
> > Advantages of ULA-C (even to those who claim there are some):
> > 	Virtually none.
>
> I'm sure you don't mind the plane renumbering in flight when it
> switches from one satellite connection to the next. Myself, I'd like
> to see the flight systems to have stable addressing regardless of the
> orientation of the satellite antennas.
>
> > Disadvantages of ULA-C:
>
> I can't believe you keep pounding on this dead horse. These are
> PRIVATE addresses. Period.

Uh, neither of those reasons undermines the solution others have
proposed: use PI space.  You can always just not announce some part (or
all) of your space.  That would make it private.

ULA-C sounds to me like a request to the guys who spin silicon to help
people keep from screwing up their router configs.  If someone can't
manage to filter their BGP such that they keep some (or all) of their
space private, I don't see why Cisco, Juniper, et al., need to do
that for them.

-David