[ppml] Policy Proposal 2007-6 - Abandoned

Jo Rhett jrhett at svcolo.com
Wed May 23 14:16:39 EDT 2007

On May 23, 2007, at 8:42 AM, David Williamson wrote:
> I'll second that thought.  There's nothing notably dificult about
> renumbering, but anywhere you have a direct interaction with another
> organization (and vpns are notorious for this), you're likely to
> have a
> longer time line for making the change.  When we need to make major
> vpn
> changes across our customer base, we assume it will take at least 6-8
> months to complete, just to walk all of them through their own
> internal
> change processes.
>
> Never underestimate the sheer inertia of a Fortune 100 company.

Ah.  So what we have here is a business risk that needs to be
properly evaluated and dealt with in the contracts and service
provisions with that company.

I don't believe that I should be required to put $2-5 million of
upgrades into my gear because these needs weren't properly addressed
in a company's processes.

--
Jo Rhett
senior geek