[ppml] Policy Proposal 2007-6 - Abandoned

Alex alex at basespace.net
Tue May 22 20:10:41 EDT 2007

> We're a colo facility, so it's all downstream and yes we've had to
> face this.
>
> I was instrumental in changing our policies to force renumbering
> *AND* return of the original space, and I've been the point of
> contact for all the pain.  I have personally taken on the migration
> efforts for those customers, and personally assisted them with the
> migrations.  Nobody here has felt the pain more than me, and frankly
> there really wasn't all that much.

I am boggled by this assertion. Did you really take responsibility for
looking up how to change the IP address on whatever ancient hardware and
software each customer had colocated with you? Furthermore, did you not have
customers who pushed back on this and were unhappy that you needed to touch
their machine?

> So far it hasn't cost us a single customer, and we're more in danger
> of filling up our 5th building right now and not having space to sell.

I congratulate you on your customer service. All I can say is, your
experience does not match mine. When I had to renumber, it was painful, and
customers were unhappy, and a couple of them did leave shortly thereafter -
not of course admitting that the renumbering was the cause.

The real question, though, is: are you willing to do it all again every few
years when your upstream from whom you get PA space is bought, or changes
its prices or its policies? The real problem with lack of PI space is it
removes freedom of choice from the little guy, which places negotiating
power in the hands of the big upstream providers.