[ppml] OT: Guidance for multihomed enterprise and IPV6

Jeroen Massar jeroen at unfix.org
Tue May 22 18:45:23 EDT 2007

Antonio Querubin wrote:
> On Tue, 22 May 2007, Jeroen Massar wrote:
>
>> How exactly does a direct assignment not 'get' the 'global routability'
>> part? Can you elaborate?
>
> Just going by ARIN's wording:

Where is that wording from?

> "Typically, end-users receive IPv6 addresses from an Internet Service
> Provider (ISP), not directly from ARIN. Assigned addresses obtained
> directly from ARIN are the least likely to be globally routable."

None of the RIRs guarantee any routability of any prefix at all.

They have programs like the debogon program which might mitigate these
effects but for the rest nada. RIRs also _can't_ guarantee this as it is
not their network to configure, that is the local policy of that ISP.
If some ISP decided to filter out >/16, then that is their policy.

> Also, the size of the assignment is a /48.  A lot of folks are filtering
> outgoing announcements of anything longer than /32 in many cases to
> enforce aggregation policies.

Did you actually _look_ at the URL's I provided, also in text in the
email, showing that 86% of the networks are fine!? For the remained we
*know* which sites are wrong, fixing them up requires only that those
sites wake up. Nothing bad there.

Greets,
 Jeroen