[ppml] OT: Guidance for multihomed enterprise and IPV6

Jeroen Massar jeroen at unfix.org
Tue May 22 14:46:46 EDT 2007

Antonio Querubin wrote:
> On Tue, 22 May 2007, Jeroen Massar wrote:
>
>> Dan.Thorson at seagate.com wrote:
>
>>> I need some guidence re: deploying IPv6 in a multi-homed multinational
>>> enterprise corporation, specifically ensuring global routability and gl=
>> obal
>>> Internet access failover?  Clearly I need IPv6 space which can be annou=
>> nced
>>> to multiple ISP's located world-wide....
>
>> For the ARIN region this is quite simple:
>>
>> http://www.arin.net/registration/guidelines/ipv6_assignment.html
>
> He needs global routability.  A direct assignment doesn't get that but
> an allocation will.

How exactly does a direct assignment not 'get' the 'global routability'
part? Can you elaborate?

Please first check: http://www.sixxs.net/tools/grh/dfp/arin/ and see all
the blocks under 2620::/32. I have to agree, they only have ~86%
reachability, but that is mostly due to missing transit providers and of
course some ASNs still filter them out. But they definitely give you
'global routability'. (Though even ULA's or any other random number
would give you that as long as your resource is either important enough
or you donate enough money to folks to get it accepted)

Greets,
 Jeroen