[ppml] IPv6 annual fee waivers

Jon Lewis jlewis at lewis.org
Tue May 22 14:09:46 EDT 2007

It seems several times the ARIN BoT has extended the IPv6 fee waiver.  I
just started looking at the ARIN web site to see what would be involved in
getting an IPv6 allocation to start playing around with, and the first
thing I noticed was the annual fee waiver expires again in December of
this year.  After that, barring another fee waiver extension, we'll be
paying an additional couple thousand a year for IPv6 address space we're
probably not going to be using to generate any revenue.

Has any consideration been given to making the annual fee for ARIN IP
space whichever of the IPv4 or IPv6 fees for a particular organization is
greater?  i.e. We currently pay $4500/year for IPv4 space.  If we were to
get an IPv6 /32, the annual fee for that is $2250.  But since we're
already paying $4500, the $2250 gets waived.

Charging each ARIN member an additional couple thousand a year (or even
just the threat of it by continually extending the IPv6 fee waiver a year
at a time) is, IMO, not conducive to encouraging ISPs to start learning to
use and deploy IPv6.