[ppml] ARIN Board Advises Internet Community on Migrationto IPv6

Kevin Loch kloch at kl.net
Mon May 21 12:10:01 EDT 2007

Anthony A. Crumb wrote:

> I think it is great that we are spreading the word, and I am glad that
> ARIN has made this announcement. Now we need to put the issue
> ULA-central or ULA-local to bed. I am sure that I will not be able to
> justify more than one /48 globally routable prefix for my US internet
> presence. Because the last 64 bits of the address are required for
> interface identifiers that only leaves me with 16 bits with which to
> create a hierarchical enterprise address allocation model. 16 bit of
> subnetting space is not enough to create subnet allocation model for a
> large enterprise.

The current PI policy does allow for variable sized assignments based
upon need for more than 65536 subnets.  There have been two such
assignments made so far.   I'm sure if you submit an application
that reasonably justifies your request you can get the subnets
you need, as that was the intent of the policy.

We do need to make that policy more specific as to what "justify"
means so if you have any suggestions we would love to hear them.

- Kevin