[ppml] getting converts to V6

David Conrad drc at virtualized.org
Thu May 17 16:41:49 EDT 2007

Hi,

On May 17, 2007, at 11:17 AM, Joel Jaeggli wrote:
> The big drivers in dfz fib growth are the deaggregation and allocation
> of v4 address space. I don't see deaggregation of ipv4 space stopping
> after the rir's had out the last /24.

My assumption is that it is going to get _MUCH_ worse.  There is a
lot of v4 address space allocated but not routed.  I suspect that the
unrouted IPv4 space will begin to start showing up when people begin
to realize that it is worth something to somebody.  The obvious
implication of this is that you're going to see longer and longer
prefixes being deaggregated out of what's in the routing tables today.

> The biggest driver in fib growth
> inside isp's isn't the DFZ in many cases, it's revenue producing
> services like 2547 vpn's. ipv6 fib growth isn't even on the radar.

Yep.  I've been told there are ISPs out there that already are
dealing with > 500K routes and are seeing convergence issues. And
when these ISPs go to their vendors and ask for the roadmap for
hardware, the upgrade deployment cycle outstrips the hardware
development cycle.

However, maybe the folk from those ISPs were exaggerating... (hard
for me to tell)

Rgds,
-drc