[ppml] Policy Proposal: IPv4 Soft Landing

bmanning at karoshi.com bmanning at karoshi.com
Tue May 15 15:37:29 EDT 2007

On Tue, May 15, 2007 at 05:52:03PM +0100, Andy Davidson wrote:

> On 14 May 2007, at 21:50, bmanning at karoshi.com wrote:
>
> >neither ARIN, nor other RIR, nor IANA can create new IPv4 numbers.
> >and conversly, they can not destroy them.  ARIN can ensure that
> >it tracks the density of use of the pool...  some might think that
> >such a task is clearly in its charter.
>
> Go easy on me, I can't find my tin hat ... but does this mean it's
> time to drag up a new thread about reclaiming 'legacy' /8s (IANA
> reserved ones, military, squeezing down 44/8 into something a bit
> smaller, etc.,etc.)
>
> -a

	for one, I am not happy w/ the existant policy proposal on reclaiming
	space.

	i think it would be more useful to find a way to incent legacy address
	holders to establish a relationship with ARIN (or relevent RIR) without
	trying to browbeat them into submission.  such an outcome ought to
	be less about "reclaimation" and more about accountability.

	it would be reasonable to consider that since ARIN has the charter to
	be stewards of IP numbers (generally speaking) it would be ideal if
	ARIN could get agreements in place w/ the holders of IP numbers that
	received them pre-ARIN.  ....  at least as a first step.

	do you agree?

--bill