[ppml] getting converts to V6

Lee Dilkie Lee at Dilkie.com
Tue May 15 15:11:14 EDT 2007

Steve Atkins wrote:
> On May 15, 2007, at 11:25 AM, Lee Dilkie wrote:
>

>> Cliff is right. You want to attract those early adopters. I also am
>> one,
>> with my own grandfathered Class C (okay, /24) and I'm in the same
>> boat.
>> I *am* playing with IPv6 but via one of those tunnel brokers but it's
>> hardly serious. Giving me a v6 PI space for free would certainly
>> make me
>> want to find a provider that could route v6 to me natively. Then all
>> sorts of interesting things might happen.
>>

> Arguably, those with grandfathered class Cs who haven't needed any
> more network space since they got them are those who are least likely
> to do anything interesting with IPv6. They're not early adopters.
> They're
> people who used to be early adopters a long time ago.

Hmmm. So because I didn't become an ISP and get into the internet big
time to make money. Because I concentrated on network security research
and data protocols and had no need for more than my initial allocation.
For those reasons you can consider me unworthy of IPv6 space as an early
adopter.

wow. That's like telling Burt Rutan (http://www.scaled.com/) that he
can't design any more airplanes (and spaceplanes) because he never grew
his operation to the size of Boeing or Airbus. The fact that the man's
company has made advances in aerodynamics and flight materials that have
been and are being adopted by every manufacturer is of no interest to you?

I'm sorry. ISPs don't actually invent anything. Invention of new things
is done by others. Creating new demand is done by others. ISPs, like
broadcasters, record companies, film companies, are in the business of
distributing the ideas of others, not inventing their own. ISPs will
*never*, by themselves, make the IPv6 move you so desire. (it'll
probably be either gaming industry or, what else, porn)

I'd like to point out that IPv4 is still going to be required for a long
time for all the existing, legacy, applications. Even if you move to
IPv6, you'll still need an IPv4 address because dual-stack is the *only*
workable transition mechanism. What some "early adopter" might do,
however, is come up with a brand new, compelling, application that is
IPv6 pure. *That* is what you folks need to happen. And who knows from
what quarter it will come...

Cheers,

-lee