[ppml] Policy Proposal: IPv4 Soft Landing

michael.dillon at bt.com michael.dillon at bt.com
Tue May 15 05:30:17 EDT 2007

> Now for my soapbox...what's good about this is that it forces ISP's
> into the realization that they can either stay v4 and stop *growing*
> when numbers run out or they have to switch to something with a
> bigger address space (v6 is the one alternative at hand) and continue
> to be able grow customers.

This is not an appropriate goal for ARIN policy. I will vote against any
policy that attempts to PUNISH or FORCE organizations to do something or
other. That entire approach is inconsistent with ARIN's nature as a
cooperative association of organizations who use Internet numbering
resources.

If you want to force ISPs into realizing something then the appropriate
tools are public relations, press releases and so forth. Not policy
changes.

--Michael Dillon