[ppml] [address-policy-wg] Re: article about IPv6 vs firewalls vs NAT in arstechnica (seen on slashdot)

JORDI PALET MARTINEZ jordi.palet at consulintel.es
Tue May 15 03:57:06 EDT 2007

And the only way to control ULA-central is to have it within the RIR system,
instead of waiting for IETF to move ahead the document and doing themselves
or thru and alternative third party organization.

So having a "managed" path for ULA-central is in our hands.

Regards,
Jordi

> De: Tony Hain <alh-ietf at tndh.net>
> Responder a: <alh-ietf at tndh.net>
> Fecha: Mon, 14 May 2007 17:28:47 -0700
> Para: <bmanning at karoshi.com>, 'JORDI PALET MARTINEZ'
> <jordi.palet at consulintel.es>
> CC: <ppml at arin.net>, <address-policy-wg at ripe.net>
> Asunto: RE: [address-policy-wg] Re: [ppml] article about IPv6 vs firewalls vs
> NAT in arstechnica (seen on slashdot)
>
> bmanning at karoshi.com wrote:
>
>>> ULA-central is NOT intended to be uses as IPv6 PI.
>>
>> but there is no way to stop it from becoming so.
>
> The only effective way to stop it is to make PI have a lower cost than
> ULA-C. The most straight forward way to implement that is; at the RIR policy
> level acknowledge that PI will exist and create the appropriate mechanisms
> to manage it; at the ISP level, recognize that PI is available and refuse
> (set exorbitant fees) to route ULA-C.
>
> Trying to stop something that is outside the RIR policy control through RIR
> policy is a waste of time and energy. Recognize that whatever you do PI will
> exist in some form, and avoid the situation where it is completely
> unmanageable by creating a formal process where it is easy enough to get
> that people won't bother with working around you. If you want something to
> be contained and managed then step up and manage it. Trying to abolish it
> will only ensure that it exists outside the realm of manageability.
>
> Tony

The IPv6 Portal: http://www.ipv6tf.org

Bye 6Bone. Hi, IPv6 !
http://www.ipv6day.org