[ppml] article about IPv6 vs firewalls vs NAT in arstechnica (seen on slashdot)

JORDI PALET MARTINEZ jordi.palet at consulintel.es
Fri May 11 17:37:43 EDT 2007

This is something that could possibly be managed depending on how you setup
the fees for ULA-central, but there may be other ways also. I think RIRs
staff will make sure that one is not used instead of the other.

Fraud (telling you need ULA-central and using as PI) is always a possibility
with any policy, and there are means to verify it.

I also believe that if transit providers understand the difference, they
will not allow using ULA-central as PI, moreover, you will always have the
risk of trying so and being filtered in part of the Internet. A PI requester
will not risk (unless there is no PI, but now is available already in 3
regions, and I expect that will be in all before ULA-central is adopted in
any).

Regards,
Jordi

> De: Owen DeLong <owen at delong.com>
> Responder a: <owen at delong.com>
> Fecha: Fri, 11 May 2007 06:38:39 -0700
> Para: <jordi.palet at consulintel.es>
> CC: <ppml at arin.net>, "address-policy-wg at ripe.net" <address-policy-wg at ripe.net>
> Asunto: Re: [ppml] article about IPv6 vs firewalls vs NAT in arstechnica (seen
> on slashdot)
>

> On May 11, 2007, at 1:37 AM, JORDI PALET MARTINEZ wrote:
>
>> Even if not globally routed, you may want to avoid a possible clash
>> with
>> another organization, for example in case of a merge.
>>
>> ULA-central is NOT intended to be uses as IPv6 PI.
>>

> Intent is not the problem. Probability of implementation outside of the
> intent is the problem.
>
> ULA Central is only beneficial if it is somehow easier to get than
> IPv6 PI.
>
> If it is easier to get and there is no solid (router-enforced) way to
> preclude
> it from being "globally routed", then, it will get abused as an
> alternative
> to IPv6 PI.
>
> Owen

The IPv6 Portal: http://www.ipv6tf.org