[ppml] Can the RIRs bypass the IETF and do their own thing?

JORDI PALET MARTINEZ jordi.palet at consulintel.es
Fri May 11 17:32:47 EDT 2007

I've already indicated this in previous occasions, but may be not in ppml

We are proceeding in parallel, with the ID and the PDP at the same time.
Nothing in the PDP precludes doing so.

The RIRs don't depend on IETF at all, they can define global policies for
things that the IETF failed to complete if that's the case. IANA can be
instructed the same by the RIRs (which a global policy) than by the IETF
itself with an RFC.

Even when the IETF get the document as an RFC, the RIRs need a policy (in
this case no need for a global one) to start using the resource. That's why
both things are needed.

The boards of the RIRs, if the policy reach consensus, should hold the
implementation until the RFC is available or instead, a global policy reach
consensus to replace the function of the RFC. This is something that it is
natural to be done, but again, doesn't preclude to start debating about the
policy and win some time.

If anyone want to discuss about the ULA-central ID, I encourage to bring
that discussion to the ipv6 WG mailing list, no need to create a new one.
For discussions about the policy proposal, use the corresponding RIR mail
exploder.

Regards,
Jordi