[ppml] article about IPv6 vs firewalls vs NAT in arstechnica (seen on slashdot)

Tony Hain alh-ietf at tndh.net
Fri May 11 00:01:02 EDT 2007

I agree that this will help inform the debate, and while Iljitsch did a good
job of outlining the issue, he left out a significant point:::
People explicitly chose to be in the state of "as there is currently no
obvious way to make services only available locally" by insisting that the
local-scope addressing range have a global-scope as far as application
developers were concerned. Now the application developers are complaining
about the consequences of their choice, because the alternative to 'no
routing path for an attack' is to insert a device that has to make policy
decisions with limited information.

The current ULA-central discussions will be directly involved in this issue.
It is critical that all of the RIR's have policies establishing a mechanism
for registering ULA-central prefixes & PI. For those who don't recall, the
reason ULA-central was tabled was that it was seen as a potential end-run to
acquire PI space in the absence of appropriate policy to do so out of a
range recognized for global routing.

The need for keeping some things local while others are global is real, and
the lack of appropriate mechanisms to accomplish that through the routing
system that is designed to deal with path selection leads to entire
industries for fragile work-arounds along with their increased complexity.

Tony