[ppml] Revised Policy Proposal Resource Reclamation

michael.dillon at bt.com michael.dillon at bt.com
Mon May 7 13:30:22 EDT 2007

> First of all, I take issue with your use of the term punitive.  ARIN
> has a
> responsibility of stewardship over community resources and issues
> those resources to organizations in the community based on justified
> need. Reclamation of resources which no longer have justified need
> is not punitive, it is good stewardship.

Your proposal talks about revocation of resources. It discusses the
terms under which ARIN may unilaterally change the status of number
resources which had previously been delegated to another organization. I
believe that a court would see that as punitive action and that if ARIN
were ever sued as a result of such action, ARIN would have to "justify"
that punitive action to the court. Regardless of whether or not it is
good stewardship to reclaim resources whose delegation is no longer
justified, the actions describe in your proposal are punitive actions.

> Actually, that depends a great deal on the application.  To the best
> of my
> knowledge, there are no applications where a v6 only client can open a
> socket directly to a v4 only server without some intervening
translation
> process. Hence, any claim of interchangeability is specious at best.

I wasn't talking about the network, I was talking about the application.
An application that functions on a v4 network (say a web client talking
to a web server) will function on a v6 network without any changes to
the application. If ARIN takes a stewardship attitude to IP address
resources overall, then it is wrong to be overly strict with IPv4
addresses unless there is some level of education about the availability
and interchangeability of IPv6 addresses. Given the timeframes for IPv4
exhaustion, 3 to 5 years, there is plenty of time for enterprises and
network operators to make IPv6 operational for many network functions.
Any time that an application is shifted to IPv6, that eases the pressure
on IPv4 and, ultimately we may be able to prevent IPv4 exhaustion by
such measures.

--Michael Dillon