[ppml] Definition of "Existing Known ISP"

Leo Bicknell bicknell at ufp.org
Thu May 3 17:48:57 EDT 2007

In a message written on Thu, May 03, 2007 at 12:38:00PM -0400, Kevin Loch wrote:
> There is a public benefit to have anyone who is actually providing
> Internet services to be considered an ISP under ARIN policy.  This does
> not mean that they would automatically meed the minimum requirements
> for a delegation from ARIN but if they do they should not be considered
> an end site.

I'm curious about the public benefit portion of your statement.  I
suspect a number of very small ISP's, providing only dynamicly
assigned services, or running ASP type services would much prefer
to be treated by ARIN as end users.  For small users, 25% initial
utilization is much larger than a 6 month supply, and in many
situation is cheaper as well.  Since the customers are dynamic
and/or they are running server based infrastructure there's no real
benefit to SWIP records, since they are doing to be the point of
contact anyway.

Where do you see there's benefit, in particular public?