[ppml] 240/4

Leo Bicknell bicknell at ufp.org
Wed May 2 20:26:32 EDT 2007

In a message written on Wed, May 02, 2007 at 01:43:16PM -0700, Tony Hain wrote:
> The misguided notion that this is simply a routing problem will result in a
> lot of burned resources with absolutely no gain.  Even if you magically had
> the ability to route that space today, what customer end systems would you
> be able to stick there?

There are multiple proposals on the table for the space.  One of
the proposals was by several CableCo's as additional RFC 1918 space
to use to control their set top boxes and cable modems.  For those
deployments, having their vendors update software for the set top
boxes and cable modems FULLY fixes the "problem" and makes the space
usable.  There are other fully homogenous environments that might be
able to quickly use the space as well.

In a message written on Wed, May 02, 2007 at 01:45:23PM -0700, David Conrad wrote:
> I'd be happy to write a draft redesignating the class E space if
> somebody can tell me what the consensus is on what it should be
> redesignated to, e.g., "normal" unicast?  RFC-1918 extension?  Half-
> and-half?  Something else?

It's a two part problem:

#1 - Write an RFC that software should be updated to treat Class E
     space as normal unicast.  After all, even 1918 space is just
     normal unicast from the perspective of virtually every device
     out there.

#2 - Have the community decide if we want to give this out as
     additional 1918 space, full IP unicast space, or some "half
     and half" arrangement.  We can use the time the vendors are
     fixing their code to have that debate.

Since you volunteered, please write #1 ASAP. :)  It will spur people to
have the conversation in #2 much quicker.