[ppml] 240/4

Andy Davidson andy at nosignal.org
Wed May 2 11:38:36 EDT 2007

On 25 Apr 2007, at 23:54, David Conrad wrote:

> The cost of redesignating class E space is the cost of writing an
> RFC, IANA editing a file, and IANA publishing that file on IANA's
> web site.  While the first bit may cost a bit of stomach lining and
> sanity, I don't think anyone can call the cost anything but very low.

Agreed.  You volunteering ? :-)

> The cost of utilizing class E space will likely be significantly
> higher.  However, if you judge the cost of utilization high, don't
> use it.  That is, "Doctor, it hurts when I do this..."

If the C in CIDR really does mean classless, then the concept of
Class-E ought to start to smell old in 2007.

If Vendor fixes hit routing software in 2007, so that class E .. or
240/4 .. was nothing special, then we might just have bought
ourselves a little more time, come July 2011 (Geoff's best guess
today when IANA's v4 'stock' runs out).

-a

--
Andy Davidson - ( http://www.andyd.net/ )