[ppml] Revised Policy Proposal Resource Reclamation

Rich Emmings rich at nic.umass.edu
Tue May 1 14:01:10 EDT 2007

I estimate it 12 classical "A"s that are in iana's listing, but that I
don't typically find in the routing tables.  I don't chase the B's.  The A's
are multinationals, government, businesses and military (multiple
countries.)

A RFC1918 network consists of non-globally unique addresses.  A network that
doesn't appear in the global routing tables is still globally unique.

There have have been bogon routes that leak into the global tables from time
to time, which are not normally found there.  The RFC1918 numbers provide
the most glaring examples, but others that have used space other than
RFC1918 occasionally leak one now and then.  I believe recently, someone had
a comment about seeing 128.0.0.0/2 in a routing table at some random router
on the net.

Edu-wise, only MIT and MERIT (a state wide network) are holding (and
routing) /8's.  MERIT is large.  From recollection, MIT had some /16's a
while back that I no longer see, so perhaps they turned in some space.