[ppml] Revised Policy Proposal Resource Reclamation

Rich Emmings rich at nic.umass.edu
Tue May 1 13:44:04 EDT 2007

Even if both conditions were met, I'm not sure ARIN has authority, as it's
legacy space and no RSA exists.   A random email from a business I don't do
business with demanding something usually gets filed in my SPAM folder.  I'd
hope anyone with a large number asset at least knows who/what ARIN is, but
it's not impossible for someone ARIN familiar to leave a given shop, and
leave behind those clueless.

Short version: I can't see the AND being a sure enough condition, because
the number might be ignoring ARIN, and has no business relationship with
ARIN, barring some sort of global policy demanding you register with your
local RIR and sign a RSA.

Are there abandon assets out there.  I'd say it's a sure bet.  If it's an
ARIN asset, then ARIN does have authority over it.  Otherwise, I think only
IANA can revoke.  Same for underutilized assets.

It's messy, but it can always be made messier.