[ppml] those pesky users...

Randy Bush randy at psg.com
Thu Mar 29 14:19:12 EDT 2007

[ shame one can not tell to whom you are responding ]

>> Not now, but in the future IF we switch to IPv6 then
>> everyone WILL need IPv6 who has IPv4 assigned.
> It's not a switch. It's a transition. It's not "if", it's
> how fast.

really slowly.  really really slowly.  really really really slowly.

to repeat
  o ipv6-only networks can not reach the real internet
  o so everyone will need ipv4 space, period (and please do
    not waste our time with "well, many folk will be happy
    with X," where X is not the real internet)
  o as it gets scarce, there will be a market in ipv4 space
  o as prices rise it will be bought and sold in smaller and
    smaller pieces
  o and ipv4 nat will be pervasive so people can use the small
    spaces
  o and we will be routing ipv4 /27s and /32s

not a pretty picture.  i do not particularly like it.  but we need to
face reality, not marketing fantasy.

if we want to change this reality, make it so ipv6-only sites can reach
the internet.  otherwise, ipv6 will only be useful in some internal
hidden uses, and for ipv6-ipv6 connectivity, which will grow slowly.
did i say really slowly?

randy