[ppml] those pesky users...

JORDI PALET MARTINEZ jordi.palet at consulintel.es
Tue Mar 27 18:57:02 EDT 2007

Hi Ted,

This is not up to ARIN, is up to us (including you). I think you should
write down a policy proposal for this and seek the community consensus.

The RIRs only implement what the community decide.

There are also technical implications. Remember that IPv4 and IPv6 are NOT
"compatible". I'm not saying it is impossible, but we can't just translate
IPv4 into IPv6, there are upper layer implications, and that's why NAT/PT is
being deprecated/historic at IETF. It doesn't work very well, same as NAT in
IPv4 only works in certain cases (basically it works fine for client-server
apps, unless you do something in the application to take care of the NAT
implications, which in turn means a huge extra app development cost).

We may consider an automatic tunneling mechanism instead of a translation,
and in fact this is how I see the future. More and more networks which will
become only IPv6 in the core and access (once IPv6 traffic is dominant vs.
IPv4) and keeping dual stack in the edge (LANs), then having the edge
routers encapsulating automatically IPv4 (even behind NAT) in IPv6 for those
old apps that don't do IPv6 or when talking to IPv4 only hosts. This is what
we call softwires, which basically is a new way to use L2TP (already
available in many networks, so not a big deal).

The only missing part is "embedding" the IPv4 address in the IPv6 one. This
could have worked with something such as softwires, but it seems to me that
it is a more expensive transition path for the ISPs, because it means
enforcing a complete network (core/access) transition before being able to
use it.

Instead, the actual softwires definition (not doing the "embedding" part),
allows the ISPs to do incremental transition, or even not do the transition
at all and allow the customers to use IPv6 from the edge. This has been a
main concern in the IETF when developing IPv6: Making sure that the
transition can be done without forcing the ISPs to change their network, and
instead allowing an incremental path, each step at your own pace.

Regards,
Jordi