[ppml] the transfer proposal was Re: In$entive$

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Tue Mar 27 16:31:38 EDT 2007

On Mar 27, 2007, at 1:00 PM, Edward Lewis wrote:

> At 8:06 -0700 3/22/07, Owen DeLong wrote:
>
>> The RIRs provide a very specific service. They guarantee that
>> whatever
>> numbers they issue to you will not be issued to anyone else by
>> them or
>> by any other RIR.  They don't guarantee anyone will route those
>> numbers
>> for you.  They don't guarantee you that no one else will use those
>> numbers in their router.  They don't promise you that there is no
>> competing
>> parallel address registry.
>
> I want to switch to the proposed transfer policy for a moment and
> see how that crosses with this.
>
> So if company runs a service that justifies a /19 from ARIN and
> then sells that service to another, the buying company can then
> justify a /19 worth of space.  Does the selling company "have" to
> give up the /19?  I mean, will ARIN reclaim the space at any time
> or are we relying on the selling company to voluntarily free the
> space and/or transfer it to the buying company?

It depends.

If the entire service is sold, the generally accepted practice would be
for the purchaser to initiate a transfer through the ARIN transfer
process
with the cooperation of the seller and the addresses would transfer with
the service, preventing the need to renumber.

Obviously, if it was agreed as a condition of the sale that the
addresses would
not transfer, then, the original address holder could theoretically
retain them,
and the current reality is that it is unlikely ARIN would or could
reclaim them
under current policy.  However, if the original party stopped paying
maintenance
fees on them, or, subsequent policy changes allowed more aggressive
reclamation of address space, the RSA does provide for that to be done.

Does that answer your question?

Owen