[ppml] those pesky users...

Stephen Sprunk stephen at sprunk.org
Tue Mar 27 13:18:31 EDT 2007

Thus spake <bmanning at karoshi.com>
> On Tue, Mar 27, 2007 at 11:23:17AM -0500, Aaron Wendel wrote:
>> Unfortunately this is an issue that's going to have to be forced.
>> Either by a major government or the major RIRs.
>
> forced?  are you willing to hand over your router enable pswds to ARIN
> or your local LEO's?  Even if you are, I'm not persuaded ARIN would
> be willing to take them.  The forcing function must come from
> other vectors.

You know that's not how it would work.  The FCC has jurisdiction over
"information services", including the Internet.  All it would take is for
them to issue one regulation applying substantial fines for anyone who
offers IPv4 service without also offerring IPv6 service, and everyone would
magically find the time and money necessary to enable IPv6 in order to avoid
those fines.

However, the FCC has (for better or worse) clearly stated their position is
that the anarchy and chaos of letting the market decide how the Internet is
run is preferable to heavy-handed regulation that would stifle creativity
and growth.  This remarkable (and rare) example of regulatory restraint has
been a boon to all of us, and we should do everything we can to avoid
convincing the FCC that they are wrong.

As far as ARIN, well, there's really nothing ARIN can do except make it
impossible (or ridiculously expensive) to receive/renew IPv4
allocations/assignments, and the debate about the "count-down" proposal
seems to indicate that there is no clear consensus supporting that today.

Stephen Sprunk      "Those people who think they know everything
CCIE #3723         are a great annoyance to those of us who do."
K5SSS                                             --Isaac Asimov