[ppml] Policy Proposal: 2007-12 IPv4 Countdown Policy Proposal

Stephen Sprunk stephen at sprunk.org
Thu Mar 22 11:19:24 EDT 2007

Thus spake "Jay Sudowski - Handy Networks LLC" >
> It would be most interesting to know how frequently and under
> what circumstances ARIN has elected to utilize these provisions.

I agree.  Leslie et al, do you have any comments?

> That these policies already exist begs the question: what can the
> membership can do to get ARIN staff to more actively enforce the
> existing policies that speak to address reclamation?
>
> [ a bunch of reasonable ideas ]
>
> I didn't intend for this to get so long.  Would appreciate your thoughts
> and feedback.  I am not sure if these standards would be too "Attila the
> Hun" for people to tolerate.  But if the authority exists for such
> actions to be taken in existing policy, and the policies are not
> actively used, something should be done to clarify the position the
> membership has on this topic.

Non-payment or non-responsiveness are areas where I'm sure ARIN is already
doing this, but I don't think there's been much effort put into reclaiming
space from people who pay their bills quietly, return emails promptly, and
never ask for anything new.

I've filed a suggestion via the ACSP process to actively start auditing and
reclamation in areas it's not already being done.  I left the details on
what exact criteria to use up to them since I figure it's obvious that one
should go for the low-hanging fruit (i.e. allocations/assignments with the
highest potential gains for lowest effort) first.  I don't think we need to
arbitrarily restrict how ARIN goes about it; we just need to make sure
they're doing _something_ and that we have policies available for them to
cite during an audit.  If I turn out to be wrong on that front, or ARIN
comes back with a Consultation action in the ACSP, we can clarify the intent
by the usual consensus process.  Until then, I'd prefer to give them the
flexibility to Do The Right Thing(tm) without interference.

Stephen Sprunk      "Those people who think they know everything
CCIE #3723         are a great annoyance to those of us who do."
K5SSS                                             --Isaac Asimov