[ppml] Policy Proposal: 2007-12 IPv4 Countdown Policy Proposal

Stephen Sprunk stephen at sprunk.org
Thu Mar 22 00:04:32 EDT 2007

Thus spake "Jay Sudowski - Handy Networks LLC" <jay at handynetworks.com>
> On Wed, 21 Mar 2007, Antonio Querubin wrote:
>
>>   - Reclaiming unused IPv4 space is ok but doable with existing
>>     policy.  We don't need a new policy for that - just better (active)
>>     implementation of existing policy.
>
> Can you please point out the policies that you are referring to?

It's easy to point to allocation reclamation policies:

4.1.3. Invalidation
ARIN may invalidate any IP allocation if it determines that the requirement
for the address space no longer exists.

4.1.4. Recall
In the event of address space recall, ARIN will make every reasonable effort
to inform the organization that the addresses are being returned to the free
pool of IPv4 address space.

4.2.3.1. Efficient utilization
ISPs are required to apply a utilization efficiency criterion in providing
address space to their customers. To this end, ISPs should have documented
justification available for each reassignment. ARIN may request this
justification at any time. If justification is not provided, future receipt
of allocations may be impacted. In extreme cases, existing allocations may
be affected.

However, I can't seem to find anything equivalent for direct assignments.
Logic says that the authority is implied, but if we made a point of calling
it out for allocations and were silent on assignments, one could argue we
intended ARIN _not_ to have that power.

Alternately, one can look at the RSA and find clauses that allow ARIN to
revoke _any_ number resource at (4)(c)(i) and (8)(i) if its use does not
continue to be in compliance with policy.  That power is pretty clear.

Stephen Sprunk      "Those people who think they know everything
CCIE #3723         are a great annoyance to those of us who do."
K5SSS                                             --Isaac Asimov