[ppml] IPv4 wind-down

michael.dillon at bt.com michael.dillon at bt.com
Wed Mar 21 19:37:38 EDT 2007

> Horse and buggies are not permitted on freeways, at least not
> in the United States.

You can buy a brand new bicycle for $14,000
http://www.boston.com/news/local/articles/2006/04/23/would_you_spend_140
00_for_this_bike/
but you can't drive that on a freeway. And you can't drive a Segway on
the freeway either.

> There are many many examples of abandonded older technologies
> that are completely incompatible with newer technologies, and
> have been obsoleted.  As owners of analog-broadcast-recieve
> televisions in the United States are going to soon find out.

Back in the 1930's, something called radio was developed into a
business. There were popular music programs and radio dramas. Today, in
the UK admittedly, I have a digital radio on which I can listen to
popular music programs and radio dramas. In fact, when I switched from
analog to digital I got a wider choice of stations to listen to. There
is a metaphor in here somewhere, for the IPv4 to IPv6 transition.

--Michael Dillon