[ppml] Policy Proposal: 2007-12 IPv4 Countdown Policy Proposal

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at ipinc.net
Wed Mar 21 18:04:50 EDT 2007

:-)

Is there some usage of the phrase "extreme simplification" that escapes
you?  I did like the monkeys image, though.

>>> - Are the predictions of when we run out correct?  Same problem,
>>> doesn't
>>>  matter if it's 2010, 2020, or 2050, the question is what do we do
>>> when
>>>  it happens.
>>>

>> If it is 2050 then we are setting policy prematurely if the policy is
>> not going to come into effect for another 43 years.  You and I will
>> certainly both be retired, very likely both dead of old age.  We do
>> not
>> have the moral right to dictate policy to our children for a
>> community problem that will arise after we are dead of old age.
>> We only have the right to set policy that we are going to live by.
>> I also have the same objection to the continual
>> immoral lengthing of copyright terms, by the way.
>>

>Wrong again.  We have the right and, indeed, the obligation to
>set appropriate policy for likely circumstances now.

Now <> 2050.

>No matter
>what policy we set now, it will likely be changed by our children
>and perhaps their children between now and 2050, so, this is no
>reason to avoid setting policy now.

Hmm..  So we should set policy that we think is likely to be changed.

>> You might as well write policy now for the runout of IPv6.
>>
>Personally, I think it should be the same as the current policy
>regarding
>the runout of IPv4 (which I also think is perfectly fine),

You mean the nonexistent policy for IPv4 runout that we have now?

>so, I have no
>problem with that.

Oh, I get it.  Little slow today.

Ted