[ppml] IPv4 wind-down

Leo Bicknell bicknell at ufp.org
Wed Mar 21 18:02:47 EDT 2007

In a message written on Wed, Mar 21, 2007 at 06:21:24PM +0100, Tony Hain wrote:
> I agree that ARIN should not be promoting NAT. At the same time, ARIN should
> not even be implying that they will be miserly with the remaining IPv4
> space. Stewardship does not equate to rationing that causes people to do
> unnatural things like NAT in their network deployment. It is long past time
> to get over it and realize that further extending the lifetime of IPv4 is a
> waste of everyone's time and energy. People will need to learn the realities
> of the new version of IP, or find another line of work.

I strongly disagree with that statement.  No matter your thoughts
on IPv4 and IPv6 one of ARIN's tasks is to be a steward of IPv4
space /for as long as people wish to use it./

There is a long history of new technology eroding existing markets,
but rarely does it make them go away.  More importantly, technology
that is not useful in one market may be huge in another.

Venezula uses lots of Ethanol, the US does not.  This despite a gas
crisis in the 70's, and numerous alternative technologies.  Digital
downloads have not stopped people from selling CD's.  VoIP has not
forced AT&T and wireline phone providers out of business.  There
are companies out there still making steam engines and buggy whips,
if only for much smaller market segments today.