[ppml] Policy Proposal: 2007-12 IPv4 Countdown Policy Proposal

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at ipinc.net
Wed Mar 21 17:51:54 EDT 2007

Well, that is a sticky issue, one I deliberately didn't address.

On one hand reassigning IPv4 that is reclaimed is a fundamental
principle of doing IPv4 reclamation in the first place - if you
are not reclaiming it to hand out again, what is the point of
reclamation?  That is my feeling.

On the other hand, there is some logic to the idea that if your going
to set a T-date for when no more IPv4 will be allocated, then it is
difficult to make an argument that you will not move the T-date forward
if you get a lot of addressing given back - but if the T-date becomes
more flexible, then it loses potency.

I am hoping that if a T-date is set that the networking people will
understand that it can be adjusted and the PC-ragazine columnists
that like to write "sky is falling" stories will miss the distinction
(or deliberatly ignore it)

Ted