[ppml] Policy Proposal: 2007-12 IPv4 Countdown Policy Proposal

Stephen Sprunk stephen at sprunk.org
Wed Mar 21 15:16:07 EDT 2007

Thus spake "McTim" <dogwallah at gmail.com>
> On 3/21/07, michael.dillon at bt.com <michael.dillon at bt.com> wrote:
>> ARIN is a service organization. It runs the in-addr.arpa service,
>> the (creaky old) whois service, a route server, a registry service,
>> and so on. Why not some new stuff too.
>
> It's my impression that's it's a reluctance to pay for these value
> added services on the part of the ARIN members.

Has it ever been put to a vote?  Is there even an official way to get such
things onto the agenda besides stuffing the suggestion box and hoping the
BoT/AC will bring it up?

We have a very good process to make policy changes that affect ARIN's
registry services, but it's unclear to me how much control we have over the
other things ARIN does.  And that's not a slam at ARIN at all, since they
have a good track record of doing what we ask, but it makes it difficult to
propose non-registry programs like community outreach (i.e. to people who
aren't on this list or attending meetings, via ads or articles in Network
World, Information Week, CIO, or even the WSJ).  It's like we need a
non-policy proposal process.

Is the consensus truly that ARIN shouldn't do things besides registry
services (i.e. act like a trade association), or do we just not have a
method of telling ARIN it needs to be done combined with them being hesitant
to do (i.e. spend money on) things they haven't been explicitly told to?

Stephen Sprunk      "Those people who think they know everything
CCIE #3723         are a great annoyance to those of us who do."
K5SSS                                             --Isaac Asimov