[ppml] Policy Proposal: 2007-12 IPv4 Countdown Policy Proposal

Antonio Querubin tony at lava.net
Wed Mar 21 14:05:17 EDT 2007

I've been following this discussion for a while and at first I thought the
proposal might have some merit in trying to prevent the feared
'train-wreck'.  However, as written it seems to me that all it really does
is cause the RIRs and it's members to expend a quite a bit of time and
energy to take non-trivial measures to extend the life of a protocol that
already has a suitable substitute.  That time and energy would be better
spent on IPv6 transition efforts.  I don't see this as an impending
train-wreck but rather an old car about to run out of gas while there is a
newer, more capable car with a more abundant fuel source ready to take
it's place.  We don't need to take extraordinary measures to banish the
old car from the highway.  Just park it, get in the new car and move on.

Antonio Querubin
tony at lava.net