[ppml] PI assignment subdelegation?

Jon Lewis jlewis at lewis.org
Tue Mar 20 23:19:45 EDT 2007

On Tue, 20 Mar 2007, Stephen Sprunk wrote:

> "Organization" is deliberately ambiguous so that it can be read both ways in
> cases like this.  If A still has its own connectivity (i.e. it's an
> autonomous network), it can qualify as a separate org, but it doesn't have
> to; if A's upstreams will accept a subnet of B's addresses, then in theory

A still has its own multiple connections over which BGP is in use.  The
trouble is, they're heavy users of NAT and only need a handful of public
IPs...so unless we fill out the forms saying we want public addresses for
all of the hundreds of IP devices they have behind a number of NAT
devices, they don't come close to qualifying for a direct assignment from
ARIN.  B apparently is bigger and does (or was more creative with the
paperwork).  I've only done consulting work for A, so I know next to
nothing about B's network.

> there should be no conflict.  Ideally, both companies would arrange to both
> advertise B's entire assignment; this is easiest if they maintained common
> POP(s) that they connected their disparate networks to, but could be done
> with distinct POPs that had a connection between them to carry traffic coming
> in to the "wrong" one.

Other than saving a slot in the global routing table, why would each
network want to announce all the space?  I realize that question sounds
bad/selfish...but IMO it's mitigated by the fact that A is already doing
BGP announcing a PA /24...so trading a /24 from B's assignment for their
PA /24 really doesn't add to the global table.