[ppml] PI assignment subdelegation?

Jon Lewis jlewis at lewis.org
Tue Mar 20 18:40:06 EDT 2007

On Tue, 20 Mar 2007 michael.dillon at bt.com wrote:

> I don't think that ARIN worries about splitting hairs and sorting
> through these tangled legal structures. What you see as company A and
> company B is largely a marketing fiction. If the network owning legal
> entity signs the RSA with ARIN, then can they assign addresses to
> customers of the sales legal entity, even though they neither own that
> legal entity, nor are they a subsidiary of that legal entity? The answer
> is yes, because people do it all the time.

So it sounds like it's not the sort of thing ARIN is likely to flip over.

The way it would most likely be done would be A announcing a /24 of B's
larger assignment using A's ASN.  B would announce the actual ARIN
assigned CIDR using their own ASN.

A and B do actually "peer" but not in a way or sized pipe that either
would want internet traffic routing through.

I guess my only other real concern is the possibility of any "tier 1"
doing route filtering on ARIN minimum size allocation/assignment
boundaries.  Even that seems like it'd be unlikely to cause serious
problems as long as A's and B's transits were all willing to carry the /24
route.  That's probably more a question for nanog than ppml though.