[ppml] PI assignment subdelegation?

Jon Lewis jlewis at lewis.org
Tue Mar 20 15:12:05 EDT 2007

I'm not sure if this is strictly on-topic for ppml...but

Suppose company A multihomes, gets an ASN from ARIN, and uses PA IP space.
Company A is then bought by company B.  Company B is bigger, qualifies for
PI space from ARIN, and goes through the process of getting an ASN and PI
space from ARIN.  B and A still run totally independent networks.  Can B
give A a subnet of its PI space in order for A to renumber out of PA space
and into that subnet of B's PI space?

I see under Guidelines - Requesting a Direct IPv4 Assignment from ARIN, it
says:

  ARIN assigns blocks of IPv4 addresses to organizations that request
  address space for internal use in running their own networks, and not for
  subdelegation of those addresses outside their organization's networks.

Since B owns A, but they run as separate networks, I'm not sure this
applies.